Thinking about selling your home but not sure if the fall is the right time of year? There are actually several great advantages to put your home on the market in the Fall. Here are some of the benefits of listing your home during fall in Columbus:
- There is Less Competition. Typically spring and summer are high season for listing family homes, as people want to move over the summer before the new school year starts, so listings usually decrease in the fall, which means less competition and higher sales prices. The Columbus, Ohio market saw a very strong summer season with still too little inventory for the number of buyers – with less competition you can still expect strong home values and fairly quick-turn sales (if listed strategically).
- Great Weather for Buyers. When the heat of the summer is gone and cool crisp days return, people just want to be out and about more! That may be especially true this year, as we have all spent more time at home during COVID. With precautions put into place for showings and open houses, buyers can safely visit your home this fall. There’s also the option of virtual tours and showings – which has become very popular this year due to the pandemic; many homes in the Columbus area sold sight-unseen.
- Fall Enhances Curb Appeal. Spend the summer taking care of any external repairs that need finishing, then you can celebrate fall by planting some seasonal flowers, staging you or front porch with potted mums, pumpkins, and a fall wreath, and carry the theme inside with fall scented candles. For very little investment, your home can stand out and appear cozy and inviting – even leaving a some of Ohio’s renowned fall leaves on the lawn can add further appeal.
- Buyers are Serious. Fall and winter buyers tend to be more serious. They may need to move by the end of the year, or they want to get settled before the holiday season. The demographics of buyers may shift towards younger professionals, first-time home buyers, empty nesters, and retired people, who have more flexibility over when they move than people with schoolchildren and are therefore more likely to be serious when they do go looking.
- Increased Corporate Relocations. Similarly, companies that relocate employees regularly sometimes take advantage of the fall market, knowing they can get better deals on moving expenses. Companies also tend to make personnel changes in the fall as that often corresponds with their new fiscal year.