These are unprecedented times that we live in. The Covid-19 pandemic has changed how we socialize and conduct business. Some of that change is short-term and some may prove to be long-lasting.
In Columbus, Ohio, real estate has been deemed as an ‘Essential Service’. That doesn’t mean it’s business as usual. Realtors and related services are proceeding with caution as we innovate and prioritize ways to place health and safety first. With that said, real estate CAN be performed effectively with safety in mind.
I’m collaborating closely with clients as we proceed through the listing or buying process carefully. Realtors are also utilizing new contract addendum’s for Extensions and Terminations, which protect both the buyer and seller in a transaction should certain delays occur from government actions related to the COVID-19 pandemic. While some of our process have changed, the housing market in Columbus is still thriving; homes values remain strong and buyer’s are moving quickly with our low inventory. The following are just a few steps we’re adopting to ensure everyone’s health and safety through real estate transactions today. Click here for direct updates and safety precautions advised by the CDC.
The current understanding of the COVID-19 virus is that it does not remain airborne for long after coughing or sneezing. It resides the longest on surfaces such as counters and doorknobs. As we prepare to list and sell your home, I advise we follow these guidelines to ensure the safety of all parties:
- Instead of holding open houses, we may choose to add a video walk-through to our marketing
- We will limit the showing to just the agent plus two clients at a time. Now is not the time for the whole family to attend. I will convey a request the buyer’s agent to leave any children in the car with one adult while the other views the home and then the next adult can view the home.
- Before and after a showing, either myself or the sellers should wipe down all doorknobs and general surfaces with a disinfectant.
- To avoid buyers having to touch surfaces, seller’s should leave all interior doors and cabinets open and accessible.
- We will require that all agents and buyers wear a mask or thick scarf during the showing, as well as gloves. I will provide disposable masks and gloves which will be left out for agent and buyer use as needed – and I recommend sellers offer a trash receptacle for their safe disposal.
- If anyone in the household experiences any symptoms that fit those of the virus, I recommend getting tested (if available) and we postpone either listing or showing for at least two weeks.
Since the COVID-19 virus does not remain airborne for long and resides mainly on surfaces, you should be able to walk into a house and feel safe as long as you follow these guidelines:
- As a means of reducing the exposure to my buyers I am offering to do a video call tour of the homes.
- For in person showings, we are aiming to limit the showings to two clients at a time. For those with children, I request that the children remain in the car with one adult while the other views the home and then the next adult can view the home.
- Before and after a showing, we should all use a liberal amount of hand sanitizer and be sure rub it in thoroughly covering all of the exposed skin on your hands until fully absorbed.
- We will all wear a mask or thick scarf as well as disposable gloves, I will have extra on hand for use as needed. Only those with gloves should open doors and cabinets or touch any surfaces.
- If anyone in your household experience any symptoms that fit those of the virus, I recommend getting tested (if available) and we will postpone the search for at least two weeks.
We’re all in this together. I am offering virtual meetings and presentations for anyone looking to proceed with their buying or selling plans, or to answer any questions. If you have doubts about pursuing buying or selling a home right now, you are not alone. Many people are overwhelmed by the many unknowns we’re all facing. However, I am here to address your concerns around real estate, and talk through the options that best suit your needs and current concerns. If you have any questions or want to have a chat, please don’t hesitate to contact me.